Dragon fruit enzyme is an enzyme drink that has many health benefits because it is rich in minerals, vitamin C, fiber and has antioxidant properties. Dragon fruit enzymes are often consumed to facilitate the digestion process of food so that the body’s metabolism becomes healthy.
Dragon fruit enzymes can also improve the quality of your life, reduce fatigue, and improve sleep patterns. Dragon fruit enzymes are usually made by mixing dragon fruit which is cut into small pieces with water and honey, then stored in glass jars for the next process, which is fermentation.
Today it is not too difficult to get dragon fruit enzymes in hypermarkets or in organic stores in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Malaysia. In some Southeast Asian countries such as Malaysia, the dragon fruit enzyme sold has 3.6% alcohol due to the fermentation process. Although it contains very high alcohol, the dragon fruit enzyme is declared halal because the enzyme is not included in the category of alcoholic drinks.
Before knowing how to make dragon fruit enzymes, you might also need to know that not only dragon fruit can be used as a fruit enzyme drink. Fruit that can be used as a fruit enzyme drink is fresh sweet fruit or fruit that specifically has the ability of herbs to cure disease.
In addition to dragon fruit, you can also make fruit enzyme drinks from pineapple, apples, papaya, grapes, bananas, melons, mangoes, watermelons, star fruit, oranges, pier, and others. Fruit enzyme drinks have a sweet taste, smell nice and still have a taste of alcohol content. The taste of alcohol is obtained from the fermentation process of sugar-containing glucose and fruit containing fructose.
Most people prefer to eat the fruit directly or by making it into fruit juice. There are many reasons why you have to make fruit enzymes, one of which is proof that most of the fruit’s properties are in the seeds and skin. Fruit enzyme is a way to combine various types of fruits that have optimal health benefits. When you make fruit enzymes, you will include some skin and fruit seeds and produce more benefits than fruit juice drinks.
Benefits of dragon fruit enzymes
Our bodies need enzymes for catalysts in biochemical reactions that occur in the body and the function of cells, organs, and tissues. The body that lacks enzymes will make various body functions are not optimal and easily attacked by the disease. In addition to increasing age, lack of enzymes in the body can also be caused by environmental pollution, unhealthy eating habits, and stress.
Enzymes have main functions such as protecting our cells from free radical damage, maintaining high alkaline blood pH, and antioxidant power. Fruits are one of the natural sources of several types of enzymes that are beneficial to health. One of them is the bromelain enzyme which has anti-inflammatory properties found in pineapple and papaya which is useful for improving heart function and circulation and treating joint pain.
There are three categories of enzymes, including metabolic enzymes, digestive enzymes, and food enzymes. Metabolic enzymes have a role in all processes in the body, such as speaking, breathing, moving, thinking, and behavior. Digestive enzymes such as the protease, amylase, and lipase enzymes.
All of these enzymes help the digestion of nutrients in the body, proteases break down long protein chains into single amino acids, amylase to digest carbohydrates (polysaccharides) into disaccharides, and lipases break down triglycerides into individual fatty acids and glycerol.
Dragon fruit enzymes have fiber and vitamin C which are useful for increasing the absorption of iron from non-meat sources. Iron is very important for the formation of red blood cells.
Dragon fruit enzymes and other fruit enzymes also contain antioxidants, enzymes, and probiotics and are believed to have many health benefits, such as strengthening the immune system, preventing aging, liver function, normalizing blood sugar levels, slowing down the formation of fat in organs and body tissues, reducing levels cholesterol, improve digestive system and relieve constipation, antioxidants that protect body cells from oxidation, and help repair cells and tissues in the body, increase cell metabolism, antibacterial, detoxify, balance the body’s pH level, and increase enzyme levels.
Dragon fruit enzymes provide essential enzymes to improve cell metabolic function, by increasing nutrient absorption and facilitating nutrient absorption. Dragon fruit enzymes also have antibacterial activity by increasing the effectiveness of leukocytes in the body. Leukocytes or white blood cells not only strengthen the immune system but also act as anti-viral agents to ward off infections, diseases, and foreign substances.
Dragon fruit enzymes can also detoxify because they provide enzymes that help eliminate waste in the body and remove harmful substances from the bloodstream. A well-detoxified body will make the body function optimally and make skin healthier.
Dragon fruit enzymes are also useful for keeping our body systems running optimally by balancing the body’s pH level. Dragon fruit enzymes derived from fruits have high levels of alkali which can neutralize toxins and make our bodies have a more alkaline pH.
Drinking dragon fruit enzymes is also a solution to increase the level of enzymes in the body that are reduced due to stress or disease. Increased enzyme levels make it easy for our body to digest and metabolize nutrients from the food we consume and convert it into energy. Fruit enzyme drinks are often the solution for most people who have poor dietary habits.
Things to consider before making dragon fruit enzymes
Although the dragon fruit enzyme has extraordinary benefits for health, several things still must be considered if you plan to make it. Some people who have tried drinking the dragon fruit enzyme share experiences such as smooth bowel movements, pimples on the face, and body fatigue. They generally only drink 2 tablespoons per day, the amount is not too much.
Research on dragon fruit enzymes is still lacking, finally raises various questions such as whether the antioxidant content in the fruit will increase or even decrease in the fermentation process of making dragon fruit enzymes. Research only reveals that there are two types of fermentation processes, namely alcohol fermentation with yeast and lactic acid fermentation.
The fermentation process using lactic acid is known to produce a good source of probiotics, whereas to make dragon fruit enzymes do not use lactic acid bacteria. Lack of information, data, and research on fruit enzyme drinks cause the health benefits of dragon fruit enzymes only from the experiences of people who have taken these fruit enzymes. When you want to make dragon fruit enzymes, make sure you don’t put sugar in excess.
Start making dragon fruit enzymes
Making dragon fruit enzymes can be done by everyone easily. Making dragon fruit enzymes with a ratio of 1 ratio of honey, 3 ratios of fruit, and 10 ratios of water depending on the size of the container. Dragon fruit enzymes can be consumed after 3 months of the manufacturing process which is marked by all the fruit that has settled on the bottom of the container. After that, you can separate the fruit with liquid even though it is a bit sticky. Here are some ingredients and ways to make dragon fruit enzymes:
The ingredients that you must prepare:
- 3 portions of good quality fresh dragon fruit (around 3 kg)
- 1 lemon
- 1 liter of boiled water
- 100 ml of honey
- Glass or plastic containers
Steps for making the dragon fruit enzyme:
- Clean the dragon fruit and lemon with running water then let the air dry it.
- Wash containers and knives to prevent contamination or grow mold and bad bacteria.
- Peel the skin of the dragon fruit and lemon.
- Cut dragon fruit and lemon in small pieces.
- Put honey, water and dragon fruit into a glass or plastic container that has a tight lid.
- Insert the dragon fruit slices first then lemon slices and honey or sugar.
- Repeat this process until it has filled almost 80% of the contents of the container and remember that honey or brown sugar is the top layer.
- Do not put material beyond the capacity of the container, it should be no more than 80% of the contents of the container because the fermentation process will release gas and can overflow if the contents of the container are too full.
- Close the container, making sure no air enters and store it in a dry and cool place, do not put it on the floor and be exposed to direct sunlight.
- Open the lid of the container after 3-4 days thereafter to release the gas, then stir the contents and close it again.
- Wait up to 3 months before consumption.
- After 3 months all fruits will settle to the bottom of the container, separating the fruit and liquid.
- Separate the liquid using a soft filter.
- Put the enzyme in a clean glass bottle and store it immediately in the refrigerator.
- Dragon fruit enzymes are ready for consumption by mixing 2 tablespoons of the enzyme with 100 ml of water.
Other things to note:
- You can consume it when the stomach is empty.
- You can replace honey with 500 grams of brown sugar (don’t use white sugar), some people also use syrup. The use of brown sugar instead of honey can increase the alcohol content in the enzyme drinks of dragon fruit which is not good for liver health.
- You can also add other fruits such as apples, oranges, grapes, and pineapples in a mixture of dragon fruit and lemon.
- The time of the fermentation process does not have to be up to 3 months, some people choose the fermentation process only up to 3 weeks or 1 month depending on the purpose of making the dragon fruit enzyme. Drinking dragon fruit enzymes for the treatment of diseases, it is recommended that a minimum of 4 months fermentation time, while maintaining the vitality of the body’s health, a minimum time of fermentation process a month.
- During the fermentation process, occasionally open the lid to release gas, don’t throw it away through the hose because contaminants can pass through it and damage the fruit we are processing.
- You should also shake the container slightly to ensure that the top fruits are submerged in liquid to prevent mold growth. This you can do every day during the fermentation process.
- During the fermentation process usually occurs white foam, this is very natural.
- The production of dragon fruit enzymes can fail if you see mold on the fruit, so you have to get rid of everything and start all over again.
- Fruit pulp can be used for face masks or plant fertilizers.
- Fruit enzyme drinks that are ready to be consumed must be stored in the refrigerator to slow down the fermentation process which can turn enzymes into alcohol.
What the next
Dragon fruit enzyme drinks are believed to have many health benefits if made in the right way. Dragon fruit enzyme drinks mixed into drinking water will break down water molecules into finer particles to help the body absorb it and be able to neutralize foreign particles from the air that enters the body.
The fermentation process in fruits for 1 month will produce alcohol that you can feel when drinking it. It is not good for liver health if consumed for a long time. The second month of the fermentation process will make the drinks into vinegar and when 3 months the fermentation process will turn into an enzyme that has many health benefits. So it is recommended to process fermentation for at least 3 months to feel the health benefits of the dragon fruit enzyme.
Remediva.com is committed to providing information on natural and alternative health but is not written by health care professionals. All material provided at Remediva.com is for informational purposes only and is not to be taken as medical advice or recommendation. Any health concern or condition should be addressed by a doctor or other appropriate health care professional. The information and opinions found on this website are written based on the best data available at the time of writing and are believed to be accurate according to the best discernment of the authors. Those who do not seek council from the appropriate health care authority assume the liability of any injury which may occur. Additionally, the opinions expressed at Remediva.com do not represent the views of each author or contributor to Remediva.com. The publisher of this site is not responsible for any errors or omissions in any content herein.